Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why Do I Want To Blog for Recovery?

For me, this blog is not an excuse to not work the program. I am hoping to use it as a different modality for working the program. I came upon the idea through a counselling program I participated in through my employee benefits package. I communicated with a psychologist through a blog. Here are the benefits:

1) It doesn't require scheduled contact time (meeting, phonecall etc.)

I travel to remote locations for work and I have young children - scheduled contact time difficult for me.

2) communications are recorded and can be re-read

I would find this more convenient for recording step-work and sponsorship communications. I have a hard time keeping paper organized.

3) there is a potential for increased participation in conversations

Since comments can be added indefinitely, conversation can continue for days and any number of people can jump in.

4) I have access to wider group of recovering addicts

I am finding a lack of good sponsorship and support in my area.



Just to let you know, after a 1 year hiatus, I have started going to face to face meetings again - one per week. I stopped going for a few reasons:

1) A close friend had joined the fellowship and I was having trouble being honest with him
2) I found some of the personalities harmful to my recovery
3) I didn't find any suitable sponsors
4) My wife wanted me to stay home and help with the kids

Just a few weeks ago, my wife suggested I go back to meetings, so I did. I am starting this blog to help me even more - especially when I am on the road and between meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment